To develop researchers amongst industry professionals
PhD Industry is a Doctoral Research Program which accommodates the range of activities that support original and innovative work that encompasses the academic, professional and technological fields and is not restricted or related solely to a traditional ‘scientific method’. Industrial Doctorate is equivalent to all other types of doctoral programs, including the conventional PhD.
PhD Industry is a doctoral program that provides opportunities for students and researchers to bridge the gap between two worlds. The objective of the program is to establish cooperation between the university, a company, students and researchers, on a specific research project that is of high value to the company and the participating parties.
- Research focus based on industrial issues or problems;
- Joint supervision by experts from the University and industry;
- Research conducted in the industry and candidates do not have to leave their workplace.
- A PhD program distinct from the conventional PhD degree in term of mode of research, but preserves the mark of original or innovative research and scholarship expected of a doctoral study;
- The company benefits from access to new/innovative and valuable knowledge acquired by the student/researcher during his or her studies. In return, the University gains access to new knowledge and innovation provided by the private company.
- PhD student/researcher is employed by a private company during the entire research work, while being registered as a PhD student at the university.
MODE OF STUDY
Full Time at the Industry (Candidate’s workplace)
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
The study is only offered in full time mode. However, students/researchers are expected to conduct their Doctoral research in their respective companies throughout their registration period. Students are given a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 5 years to complete the PhD Industry Program.
- A Master’s degree qualification recognised by the University Senate.
- Candidates must be currently an employee in a company in Malaysia.
- Candidates must be a Malaysian citizen.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in related field.
Applicants who have fulfilled the requirements can apply via the online system here. The application should be submitted with a brief research proposal, and the approval or supporting letter from the employer. Every PhD Industry applicants must notify the admission team at firstname.lastname@example.org that they are applying for a PhD Industry after they have completed the online application form.
The proposal should include the background of study, problems to be addressed, research questions, research objectives, scope, significance of research, short review of the literature in proposed study area, methodology, and research schedule.
Upon successful selection, candidates will be issued with an offer letter from UTM to pursue the PhD Industry Program.