Rules, Eligibility, and Progression
Rules that need to be adhered by participants, who are eligible to participate, and the progression of the winners.
- Presentations are restricted and limited to 3 minutes and competitors exceeding 3 minutes will automatically be disqualified.
- The timing will start when the presentations are commenced through speech (when the competitor starts speaking) and not from the start of the video including the 3MT title slide.
- Presentation videos must meet the following criteria (can refer to virtual competitor guide):
- Contain a 3MT PowerPoint slide (top right corner/right side/cut to)
- Filmed on the horizontal;
- Filmed on a plain background;
- Filmed from a static position;
- Filmed from one camera angle;
- Contain a 3MT title slide;
- A single static slide (no slide transformations, animations or ‘movement’ of any description) is allowed in the presentation. Make sure it can always be seen.
- The 3-minute audio must be continuous – no sound edits or breaks.
- No additional props such as costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment and animated backgrounds are permitted within the recording.
- Presentations need to be in the spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Additional electronic media such as sound and video files are prohibited within the video recording.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final and no amendments can be made.
- Submissions need to be in the video format by submitting the entries using only the YouTube video link. Files sent in other formats will not be accepted.
Please note: Having an exceptional quality of the video recording is a bonus to attract the adjudicators. However, competitors *will not* be necessarily judged solely on the quality of the video/recording quality or editing capabilities (optional inclusions). Judging will be focused more on the presentation, ability to communicate research to a non-specialist audience and 3MT PowerPoint slide.
All active Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) PhD candidates are eligible to participate. However, the priority is given to those who have successfully passed their first stage of evaluation (proposal defence) and have not graduated to participate in the 3MT competition with the following category:
- Science & Technology
- Social Science
Please note: Master students (MPhil and coursework) are not eligible to participate in 3MT.
The winner of each category is expected to represent UTM in 3MT National 2021. In the case of the winner unable to show up, the runner-up will proceed to the next round of the competition.